Monday, August 20, 2012

Artist 48: Roland Morin


Ok, so I'm fairly sure this artist isn't internationally well known. But he does have shows across the country.
And I just like his art. And I like his style.

And because I know a lot of the point of this assignment is to learn how the art world works. Here are a couple reasons why he probably won't become internationally famous.

1. He says of his art, "I aim to make my message simple, something that speaks to the heart without having to negotiate lengthily with the head." I think this is a very lovely thought, but most of the more recognized contemporary artists do create pieces that are meant to draw you into a certain concept and baffle and confuse you until you've spent a ridiculous amount of time staring at one piece and thinking through that concept from every possible angle. This is a good and powerful thing. It's silly but really I think art can change the world, a little at a time. However, looking at these on a regular basis is exhausting. I definitely think there's a place for something that is just beautiful. That just makes you happy to look at it.

2. This one is actually an even bigger deal. He doesn't seem to be very prolific. It seems to be important, especially in the beginning to just produce as much art as possible. And having your own website helps too. This makes you accessible. Just like in music when you're starting out it helps to have a grass roots fan base behind you, the same is true about art.
See! I've learned so much already.


But now look at the paintings and see why I like this artist a lot. His style is very unique and uncomplicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment