Monday, August 13, 2012

Artist 30: Andrew Hem




This painter's work is very fascinating to me. It makes me want to lie on a couch and do nothing, but still I want to look at it. It doesn't use a lot of color, and the color it does use are super depressing, mostly blue with hints of red.
His paintings feature human subjects, but they're not painted very naturalistically. In fact, they remind me of mannerism, where artists way back in the olden days painted figures with really big hands or heads or whatever to symbolize something about the person (you know, as opposed to suggesting that they actually had freakishly big hands). But these paintings all still seem fairly realistic, as do these sort of.

I'm thinking the thing that is fascinating to me, that I couldn't quite pin before is that he paints different parts in slightly different styles. So one part of the painting will be more of a graphic style, while one will have more broad brushstrokes. This seems to have the effect that the different spaces are oh so slightly disjointed looking. But because there is a similar color palette and a similar balance of detail throughout the paintings they still seem unified. It just leaves a slight sense that something is off.




See for yourself at his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment