Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Artist 36: Jessica Joslin

Probably my last post for today. This artist makes sculptures. I like sculptures.

And these little guys are so whimsical I love them. She calls them gilded beasts. They look a little skeletonish but somehow they're still really cute. I think it's because I imagine them being really small, and just used for little practical things around the house like cabinet handles and candlesticks. I don't know that that's what they actually are, but I get that impression from them and I just think that would be neat.

This all comes back to a love for monster drawings, just taken to a whole new level in sculpture form. My favorites are the birds. I love birds anyways, but I really love the lines she uses and the detail, and where she fills out the wings or the neck and where she leaves it like a skeleton, it's very beautiful and kind of elegant.

Oh and one last thing about it, I love that she uses so many different materials to make them, but they look so unified anyway. Listen to this list in one sculpture: antique hardware and findings, and silver cutwork, brass, painted wood, cast pewter, cast plastic, glove leather, glass eyes. How crazy is that?



Here is her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment