Monday, August 13, 2012

Artist 29: Fulvio di Piazza


Sometimes I ask myself why do I always love the surrealism that just creeps the rest of the world out? Is there something wrong with me? Then I get distracted and go on with my life. Yay ADD.

This artist reminds me of my favorite, Dali. He uses a similar color palette, lots of grays and dull oranges and greens. He also kind of uses the format of some bizarre thing in a perfectly normal looking sky or with fantastically average grass in the background. Lots of his bizarre things (as I'm choosing to call them) have the same look as though they were half built and half grown out of nowhere that a lot of Dali's bizarre things have. If that makes any sense at all.




This artist's bizarre things however look a lot more apocalyptic and less sexual than Dali's things. There's a lot of fire in these. I think Dali used fire too, but in this artist's paintings it's like everything is on fire or about to catch. Or just burnt down. It's a bit more depressing.

Also, something I'm not sure I love is how detailed everything is. Other surrealists are detailed, but there are things that just don't require so much detail like clouds or shapes that are far away that help to balance their paintings visually. These paintings just have so much going on everywhere that it is kind of visually overwhelming and it takes away from the emphasis that could be placed on certain important bizarre things in the paintings. Otherwise, I think this artist is great.




I couldn't find an artist site but here is one link I did find.

No comments:

Post a Comment