Friday, August 17, 2012

Artist 41: Brandi Milne


This is another LA artist. And she has the whole pop surreal look that is quickly becoming my favorite. Based on interviews that I have found, the pieces are sort of autobiographical. They speak about how she sees herself and about her relationships with the important people in her life using different kinds of symbolism.

They reference fairy tales in probably the most accurate way I've seen. Most people when recreating fairy tales focus only on the dark or only on the sweet and charming aspect of them. Both are important parts of the original fairy tales. Her paintings balance both.
Also, I like that you can tell immediately that these are painted by a girl. The more I look at art the more I just see guy themes like spaceships and blood and gore. (And yes, there are the girls in pretty dresses, but if the focus isn't on the pretty dress, it doesn't count as girly. Just sayin.)While pink isn't my favorite color, it's nice to see some extreme girliness once in a while.

Here is her website.


(just in case disclaimer: all pictures used in this post are already out in the world via google images)

No comments:

Post a Comment