Monday, August 13, 2012

Artist 31: Steve Kim

This artist is strange to me. I think it's just that his website confuses me. Check it out for yourself here. It's a little weird, right?



Ok. Weird website aside, I think the art is very interesting. In this case, I think it's because it's almost completely the opposite of what I like to make. It's very precise and controlled and economy is the name of the game, not to mention that everything is so white. He uses some color but he's very sparing with it (as he is with lines and shapes). A lot of his work shows some of the construction lines. It would seem like a sketch, but that it is all so finely drawn and so precisely drawn that it couldn't be.

This style would be terrifying for me if only because I would always have to worry about making it look finished. It goes against most of what I know. Don't leave construction lines. Fill the whole page. Use some kind of shading or mark-making to designate space.  He doesn't do any of that. But he pulls it off. Well, sometimes more so and sometimes less so, but for the most part I think he does. Which makes me wonder, are there any real rules in art?

No comments:

Post a Comment