Saturday, August 18, 2012

Artist 44: Marco Mazzoni


This artist works in colored pencils. That just seems super ambitious to me. I liked colored pencils once upon a time, in middle school. But around when I discovered sharpies and painting I gave them up, because it is a time consuming medium. Mind you, I say that but one of my best friends loves to work in colored pencils, too and hers are amazing too. But really so time consuming and if you're going to make a serious piece it requires so much planning.

Anyways, this artist makes colored pencil portraits that just seem rich to me. I think it's something about the chiaroscuro and the hints of colors and the details and the lines. It just reminds me of an avant garde fashion show. But it has flowers and birds coming out of a person's mouth and covering their eyes so that they're almost part of that person's face. 



Some critiques. All of these birds and flowers look foreboding and dramatic and beautiful, and I'm sure there's some symbolism behind it, but I'm also sure I can't even figure out what themes it's dealing with. I'm also noticing that they're all very similar. Like basically seeing a few is enough to have the idea of them all. Like if he had a solo show I'd probably be there for five minutes and get bored. Which is a shame because his work is beautiful, and if he'd branch out more, I'm sure some of his symbolism would be more meaningful.

Here is a link.

No comments:

Post a Comment