Thursday, August 16, 2012

Artist 37: Enrico Nagel


If you haven't caught on by now, I'm getting most of these from hifructose.com, but why not? It's a great site and their taste matches mine the closest of any of the contemporary art sites I've found. I'm actually thinking about subscribing.
Anyways, I like this artist,because he made a series that reminds me of one of my FNAR 125 assignments. Oh Scanograms. I hated that project, partly because I hadn't gotten the hang of photoshop, and partly because nothing came out the way I wanted it. This artist, however, has some of the coolest scanograms I've seen. And I think his are all in one take.

He has people's faces scanned, and he must have arranged hair and clothing, along with some decorative plants, but the effect is a very romantic portrait. It almost looks like his models are under water. In fact, my immediate association was with all of those super romantic paintngs of Ophelia drowning with the lilies and everything.

But wait, there's more. This isn't even his normal work. That was a special project. His normal work is in photocollage I think. He has lots of pseudoportraits of people with no heads and stuff like that. Very weird and surreal. I think a lot of it has to do with how bizarre fashion is, because it looks like he's layering different kinds of clothes onto naked figures or something. I don't actually get it, but I like it, because it's surreal and it's photocollage.




Here is his site.

No comments:

Post a Comment