Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Artist 35: Rod Luff


This is an interesting thing, because this artist doesn't seem to have gotten huge yet, but he's popping up on my radar all the way from California, so he's going to be a big deal. What I'm noticing that a lot of the biggest artists are either in LA or New York, because that's where the big galleries are right now, and the major contemporary art publications. And more so LA, because New York is the old center of art in the world, so they're harder to get into. Like the MoMa would never take someone who's not super established. It seems like it's shifting from New York to LA the same way it shifted from Paris to New York. Just my impression.

Anyways I really like his art because it's fantasy. It has birds and fairies and lots of colors and really what else do you need to make me happy? Not much. One thing I did notice that was particularly good about his pieces is the lighting. His lighting is amazing. He makes things in his paintings look just like they were glowing blue or green. It's so impressive. Seriously, I want to know how he does it.



Here is his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment