Friday, August 17, 2012

Artist 42: Lori Nix


I love this artist. She is my original researched artist, because I researched her work for a FNAR 125 assignment. But, now that I've been researching contemporary artists all summer (and by all summer I mean mostly the past week or so) I appreciate her all that much more. Because she is just so original.
She's got a very unique process, and the results aren't like most of the other art I've been seeing. It's probably the most unique art. And I appreciate that a lot.

So first with the process. She creates tiny models of a setting that she wants to photograph. Often these settings are interior spaces of buildings. I know one series she did was of abandoned buildings, to represent how certain institutions were not as valued anymore. So she makes these incredibly detailed models down to like books on a shelf and leaves on a vine. Then, she photographs them. And the results are so cool. They look full size, because there's nothing to scale them against. And they just invite the viewer into this imaginary space. It's very incredible.




Here is a link to her site.

No comments:

Post a Comment