Thursday, August 16, 2012

Artist 40: Chris Berens

Yay! Only 10 more to go.

I'm going to be unconventional and start with something I don't like, because mostly I love this artist. But I don't like the combination of dark lighting and the softer focus.I understand that it is supposed to seem apocalyptic and dream like but the combination of the two in some of his pieces (not all) is a little too much and makes me not want to look at all. If he is going to do them mostly in soft focust that is ok, but some things just need to be detailed and clear to draw the viewer's attention.




That said, I love these. He has a very unique and interesting style. It reminds me of the photographer (forgive me professor Skees I can't remember his name just this minute) who takes his photos apart and puts them back together a little bit disjointedly. Except that Mr. Berens adds elements when he puts his photos back together. Things like spaceships crashing into ancient European architecture (Ok, not ancient, but really old).
It's just a great idea and he can make so many interesting pieces within that one theme. It's brilliant.

Here is his site. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to do anything but blog for a little bit. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment