Thursday, August 16, 2012

Artist 39: Zoe Williams

This artist is fun to counteract the heavy previous post.

She makes sculptures using primarily needlepoint on wool felt. She does a lot of sculptures of animals, and a lot of times they are coming off the wall sort of like taxidermy animals with a little frame or plaque behind them. But these aren't normal taxidermy animals. They're primarily in white with details in arbitrary color, or often gold. Some of the details she even makes using rhinestones. And a lot of her animals aren't the kind you'd find on a tavern wall. Like a unicorn for example and an octopus tentacle. It's the kind of sculpture I'd get if I had a Beverly Hills mansion. Just because it's weird and fun, and I could afford it, because I'd be rich.

One thing that I could maybe recycle from her work is the way that she plays with the idea of framing. Sometimes she has a head popping out of a normal 2D picture frame. Sometimes she only frames one part even of what is flat on the wall. And sometimes she frames multiple pieces of one sculpture. It's very creative. I like it a lot.

Here is her site.

No comments:

Post a Comment