Monday, August 13, 2012

Artist 32: Wilfred Wood



I love this guy!! He names his sculptures just like I do! I think we could be friends.

This London artist makes busts. None of which are traditional, although some are closer to the tradition than others. There extremely colorful. Oh I love color. And fairly sarcastic too! Although not really mean or angry (at least not that I'm picking up on). Which is nice. I know there's a lot to be upset about in the world but humor is just so much more of a pleasant way of dealing with it.

A lot of them are fantastically abstract, they kind of remind me of the little Microsoft word paperclip guy because facial features will hang down from outline pieces sort of like the eyes hang on the paperclip, but they have so much personality just for lines and shapes. And yes, I think the names add to it, like in African art where certain processes gave art spiritual powers, the naming process seems to bring these pieces to life.

The one thing that kills me is I cannot figure out how he makes them. Are they wood? ceramic? metal? a combination? I wish I could figure it out.




Check out his website

No comments:

Post a Comment