Friday, July 20, 2012

Artist 20: Susan Middleton

I'm back from California, and really not appreciating this East Coast humidity. Ugh. But anyways, while I was in Cali I found a few artists to write about so there should be a few posts today. Starting with this one. I saw some of her work while on layover at the San Francisco airport. How convenient, right?

She photographs rare flora and fauna. The series I saw probably used a huge lens to zoom in, to the point where her photos look almost like they were take with a microscope. What this does is capture the intricate patterns even on some tiny plants and animals. Like snails, who knew snails were so beautiful? Some of them look entirely otherworldly, and I would really like to just incorporate them into some of my drawings. One that specifically caught my attention (I can't find it anywhere online so I can't even remember what the animal was) was a delicate white color with just hints of pink and blue had layers that looked a lot like pine cones. It was really just completely captivating. And really, so simple. She's just looking somewhere that not many people either would think to look or would get the chance to look, and displaying it for everyone to see.

She has pretty hardcore copyright warnings, so I'm scared to post any photos. But you should check out her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment