Saturday, July 7, 2012

Artist 19: Scott Hove



I dedicate this blog to my sister. I like to tease her that I am going to do crazy things for my wedding (when I get married a long time from now) like make my colors navy blue, black, and brown, and have the reception at an ice skating rink and make the bridal party dress up like clowns. You know whatever are the least wedding-like wedding ideas I can come up with. She is always horrified and determined never to let it happen, and that reaction is why I do it.

Well, this artist has provided me with a whole new realm of inspiration as far as the cake. One of his sculptures reminded me of an idea I told my sister. A bleeding cake. But his cake sculptures push that creepy boundary even more. They have huge mouths in the middle. They are terrifying, but kind of fun. They combine the light frilly celebratory ideas of cake with ideas of human appetite and power. They're beyond weird, and I'm not sure I entirely understand them, but they are fun.

Also, I thought his cakeland installation was fascinating. A little disturbing, albeit. But fascinating. It left me thinking, why?


So he also does paintings which are completely different. You should just go to his site.

No comments:

Post a Comment