Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Artist 16: Nagai Hideyuki



Ok, so I don't think this one is super famous to be honest. BUT he is from Japan and I in Virginia have found him WITHOUT a google search. And look at his work. It's so cool and creative.

His drawings are optical illusions that make two sketchbooks look like a popup book. Who does that? More importantly how does he do it? No, but really I'm still kind of trying to figure it out. His drawings have to be super accurate with the shading, and I think also he has to take the photo of them at just the right angle.

I like the things that he draws. The drawings are very sci fi-ish with tunnels and alien looking things and lots of machines. But even while it's got the whole end of the world science fiction idea it's still adorable and Japanese looking. I love the cute little monsters. I don't even know if they're supposed to be cute, but they are. It's really interesting to see the whole dark apocalypse idea combined with the light adorable Japanese style.

Also, one more much more serious thing. I like how he interacts with the drawings in some of the photos. Still drawing in one, pushing a button in another, and taking the eraser from a clown in a different one. These interactions give the drawings even more life and depth. It makes the 3D illusion so incredibly real. Honestly, it drives me crazy like he's breaking the laws of physics or something.



Anyways, here's his link. A warning, you might have to get your browser to translate, because it's in Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment