Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Artist 17: Ken Taylor

This artist makes posters for bands, and movies. I think that would be a great gig. It reminds me of my friend who is always showing me different CD art. They range from photography to illustration, but the great thing about them is that the general rule seems to be the weirder, the better.

I think I could handle that kind of work. I might get bored, though, if I was always making what other people tell me. I'm not sure.

Anyways, I like the format in that he uses a lot of a tall, thin poster with strong vertical lines in the composition that accent it.

I specifically love the Avett Brothers poster with the empire state building hovering in mid air in the middle of nowhere. There's something surprising about it. Part of this, I think goes back to the format. You can't look at the whole length of the poster at once, so you start at the top. Then you form expectations, based on the iconic empire state building which is so familiar, as to what the bottom of the poster should look like. So, when the poster does not meet those expectations it is that much more captivating.



Anywho, check out the site and Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment